Demolition at The St. Charles
We finally started demolition this morning at what will eventually be the St. Charles B&B on the town square. We’re removing plywood paneling, suspended ceilings, fluorescent lighting, and all the “modern” things that have been added to the building since it was built in 1860. We’ll be taking it back to the original beadboard ceilings, which are still there, and plastered brick outside walls.
It will take months of off-and-on work to rip out 150 years of additions. We plan to remove the shed roof over the front sidewalk, and remove the rock from the lower half of the building front to reveal the original brick underneath. The rock was part of a 1970’s “modernization” project.